Tuesday, January 25, 2011

NEW Soda Stream

It was the Monday right before Christmas and my brother and I went shopping at Bed Bath and Beyond. As I walked by the section with all the Soda Streams I saw a woman mixing a huge jug of water with ice. As it turns out the woman was there demonstrating the soda machine. I was so excited to finally try it as I had walked by so many times glancing at it asking myself if it really tasted like soda. She wasn't quite ready so I decided to shops around and then come back. When I went back she started the demo. First she filled this 1 liter bottle with the half ice and half water concoction up to a line and then she screwed it into the upright machine. She told me its important that we screw it very tightly so the gas can enter it the bottle. She then proceeded to push down a button which exerted a hissing sound. After about 3 hissing sounds you heard a loud buzz. She then buzzed it 2 more times and said, "that's it". After she pulled back the bottle to release the air she unscrewed it and tipped the jug while pouring a cap full of the "coke" syrup into it. Evidently if you pour it in an upright position it results in a fizzy explosion. which as we all know flattens soda. She put a little ice in a cup, poured some soda and handed to us.

The Verdict:

Soda Stream tasted just like a Coke, but unfortunately it tasted like a diet coke. Soda Stream is made from ingredients similar to Splenda so it definitely leaves the Splenda after taste in your mouth. Does it fizz like Soda...yes. Does it taste like the soda flavors it advertises...yes. Is it affordable....yes. My only complaint is that the regular flavors no matter how much syrup you put in taste like diet sodas. Regardless I still give it an A-

I did not purchase a Soda Stream that day but I did happen to get one from Santa and I must say I was absolutely ecstatic. It was unexpected and I couldn't wait to try all the different flavors. When you buy a soda stream ($99) it comes with 12 small samples of their soda offerings, a CO2 Canister, and the machine. I have tried all of them but my favorites are, Orange Soda, Coke, Fountain Mist, and Root Beer. In my opinion I would skip the Lemon-lime as it tastes more like Sierra Mist then it does Sprite. Fountain Mist although similar to Mountain Dew, has a yellow tint but actually tastes more like 7-up.

I had worked at a convenience store growing up and I remember having to change the fountain machine syrups. I remember it was a huge bag with a hose attached to it. I decided to google and see if I could purchase those bags and after some research I found out you can. I am going to buy one of those bags and give it a try. The Soda Stream is used to carbonate water, but what you put into it is up to you. Perhaps some fresh fruit? Perhaps some grenadine? Perhaps some slushie syrup? I assume that as long as you put something syrupy in there that it will react with the carbonation and taste like soda. Again, this is only an assumption and does not mean it is endorsed by Soda Stream or safe for the soda stream. I love my soda stream and cant wait to try different flavors of soda.

No comments:

Post a Comment